Anchor Text Keyword Class
Is the keyword of class Commerical (“Money”), Branded, Compound (Money+Brand) or something else (other)?
The text that you see when clicking on a link is called anchor text.
<a href="https://smart.linkresearchtools.com">Best Link Tool</a>
In the above example the phrase "Best Link Tool" is the anchor text. And it's a
How to enable the Keyword Class metric
You can enable the Keyword Class metric using the SEO Metrics selector.
- Select Keyword Class as metric 1. Type "Keyword" in the search form to find it faster.
- Drag the column to to the position 2 you'd like to see it in the link data tables, then click "Apply".
Types of Keywords Classes
The linking keywords can be categorized into the following:
These keywords contain something that can be associated with you or your company.
That can be a certain product, service or the company name / domain name itself.
- iPhone, Apple products, apple.com and Steve Jobs would be BrandKeywords for apple.com
- cemper.com, Christoph C. Cemper, LinkResearchTools or would be BrandKeywords for www.linkresearchtools.com.
A Brand Keyword of your competitor can be a Money keyword for you.
- Iphone is a Money Keyword for a mobile shop, but of course a Brandkeyword for Apple.
- Try to think like a trademark lawyer here - who OWNs that name? That owner has that word as a Brandkeyword.
URLs are always classified as
- http://www.swatch.com/at_de/specials.html will be (automatically) assigned as Brand Keyword for www.swatch.com and swatch.com
Compound keywords are keywords that are partly
- smartphone accessories at Apple.com is a CompoundKeyword for apple.com, because it includes both aMoneykeyword (smartphone accessories) as well as aBrandkeyword (Apple.com).
- Apple smartphone accessories would be a MoneyKeyword for an mobile phone e-Commerce shop
Money keywords are the keywords that people want to rank for and pay big $$$ in paid advertising.
Money keywords are also called "commercial keyword" or "commercial keyword phrase", sometimes even more correct with the "generic keyword phrase".
In the above example "Best Link Tool" is generic, as it doesn't contain any clues about LinkResearchTools (which you hopefully also think is the best link tool).
- espresso machine is a Moneykeyword phrase for nespresso.com
- buy iPhone is a Moneykeyword phrase for an mobile phone e-Commerce shop
BUT aCompoundfor Apple.com)
- the generic smartphone accessories is a MoneyKeyword for apple.com
All keywords that don't fit in the above categories are
Examples: click me,great site, here are good examples for
Example of Keyword Classes
The following practical example is for the product website of the brand Link Detox® www.linkdetox.com. The column "Anchor" shows you the anchor text of the link.
- typical Otherkeyword
- URLs pointing to the brand are a clear signal for Brand
- "plans-pricing" was actually parsed out of a URL, but the two words "plans" and "pricing" are very generic, and certainly something that people would search for (in combination with other words). Therefore it is a Moneyphrase.
- Competitive Link Detox® is a sub Brandof Link Detox®
- "Disavow File Audit" is a generic phrase, although coined and established as trademark in the marketplace we would not call this a trademark exclusive enough for the product Link Detox, so it's a Moneyphrase.
- About Link Detox is clear brand phrase, pointing exclusively to the BrandLink Detox
- Benefits - generic, so classified as Money
- "2. analysis modes of link detox"... is a combination of the money phrase "analysis modes" in conjunction with the brand Link Detox, and so Compound
- "Link Profile Audit" is your exercise that you can answer based on what you learnt above. Please decide how you would classify it and comment below.
Keyword Class for every link
Please note that there is a keyword class for every link. So if you have multiple links from a page, then each of them can have a different category.
The following example from a view in "Source Pages" is a drill down of above for www.linkdetox.com
- the "20" next to the detail +/- sign means that there are 20 link on that source page
- the anchor text "about link detox" is classified correctly as Brand, as explained above.
- "disavow toxic backlinks" is a generic keyword phrase, thus Money
- "read more" is a typical Otherkeyword
- "cleaning up your backlink profile" is a Moneykeyword phrase